[TowerTalk] Hang wires....

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Wed Jun 22 12:55:11 EDT 2005

At 12:33 AM 6/22/2005, Ian White GM3SEK wrote:

>Slightly changing the subject, is there a good way to slice off thin
>overhanging branches at the 20-30ft level?
>
>Things that won't work in this particular location:
>* No way to get a cherry-picker out there.
>* A scaffold tower wouldn't give enough sideways reach - you'd spend
>forever dismantling, moving and rebuilding the thing.
>* Climbing the tree and sawing off branches from the trunk would take
>out too much.
>
>I seem to remember someone suggested using one of those thin steel wire
>saws with two lengths of rope down to ground level. It would be easy
>enough to use a 30ft fishing pole to position the saw over the branch...
>but was that just an idea, or does it actually work?

Call an arborist and ask what they do.  I imagine it's a fairly common problem.

How big are the branches?  An inch or smaller?  That's fairly standard
pruning.  If they're several inches, then a tree saw (on a 30 ft pole)
might work.
There are also things you can rent that have a gas (air or CO2) pressure
powered pruning shear at the end of a long pole, as well as incredibly wild
things like small chain saws at the end of a pole..)