[TowerTalk] substandard aluminum?

Jim Jarvis jimjarvis at comcast.net
Tue Mar 1 15:26:01 EST 2005

Telrex:  I think there was a period when lighter, stronger
aluminum was available, and was used in production.  This
resulted in different physical resonance conditions, which
in turn resulted in premature failures.

Which brings us back to Titanex.  Antenna designers aren't
necessarily mechanical gurus.   As many have suggested, there
appears to be a vibration induced fatigue causing the failures.

I'm sure they're neither the first nor last to experience
this problem.  It'll be interesting to see how they handle
Bruce's failure @ zf2nt.

n2ea
jimjarvis at ieee.org