[TowerTalk] substandard aluminum?

Michael Tope W4EF at dellroy.com
Tue Mar 1 13:04:31 EST 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Jordan" <wa3gin at erols.com>

> Yes Jim you are correct about Telrex...and the 30yr old TB6EM that I
> have up at 35 meters is still working
> and  none of the aluminum has broken off.   That's about 10,950 days for
> those of you that aren't laughing to hard to read the small print!
>
> Telrex built antennas before the days of PCs. They did it the old
> fashioned way. They built them to last!

Dave,

Junk antennas are not a recent invention. Telrex made some pretty
shaky antennas too. Back in the 80's KS8S had two of their 3 element
40 meter yagis stacked on a 180' tower. The stainless steel element tips
were constantly  falling off those antennas. And when the tip were up
there, the antennas didn't seem to work worth a damn although that
may have been a guy wire problem (no insulators).