[TowerTalk] telerex

David Jordan wa3gin at erols.com
Wed Mar 2 16:24:50 EST 2005

Hi Joe,

One has to appreciate and remember that typically responders on this
reflector and perhaps most others speak as if they've done a national
survey when more
often their statements are not much more than subjective opinions of one
instance or one experience or their own nominal personal experience.

Still, it's fun to hear all the hoots and yelps from those that are pro
something and those that are con, etc.

Opinions and experiences of antenna performance could easily equal or
surpass the emotional intensity of the current battle over whether
references to the bible should be allowed in government buildings, haha.

Clearly, a person knows when he has heard a good reciever and he knows
when he has experienced a good antenna, etc. if he has something to
compare...

But what you don't know, you don't know.

When I listened to DX with a beam at 35ft and then at 135ft...I knew the
difference raising the antenna makes first hand!  When folks say they
didn't like the Telrex product I can presume many things (bad location,
bad installation, bad time in the solar cycle, bad receiver, etc.).
There are lots of variables for sure. The same can be said for those
that loved the performance of the antenna (great location, great
installation, great receiver, optimal sun spot cycle, etc.). It would be
difficult to
quantify so many factors and that is where the testing comes in handy.
There is no doubt in my mind that 40yrs ago the Telrex product was
better than most available at the time. I think it is also fair to say
that today's antennas would out perform the old Telrex technology but
it's prolly not fair to say that the Telrex stuff was junk.

I have a 73 Jeep Renegade in my barn and for me, comparing it to the
Jeep product of 2005, I'd say the 2005 product is junk, haha.  Some days
it's all in the eye of the beholder!

73,
dave
wa3gin