[TowerTalk] Another Steppir feature

David Hachadorian K6LL at adelphia.net
Thu Mar 17 16:37:51 EST 2005

A little-recognized feature of the Steppir, compared to other
multiband antennas, is that it tuned for only one band at a time,
so it is less disturbing to other antennas in the vicinity.

For example, consider the case of my buddy across town, W7WW. He
operates in contests, primarily RTTY, using two radios. He has am
M2 KT36XA at 70', a 40-2CD at 78', and in between them, a Steppir
dipole at 74'. All 3 antennas radiate in the same direction. When
he is using the XA on 10, 15, or 20m, the steppir is always tuned
to a different band for the second radio, so it doesn't mess up
the pattern on the XA. The XA does throw off the tuning of the
steppir slightly, but he compensates for that by adjusting the
length of the steppir with a different controller memory setting.
With bandpass filters, it's pretty clean in the Rx on all band
combinations. We have verified by F/B measurements that the
steppir does not degrade the XA on any of the band combinations.

Conceivably, you could operate So2R with a pair of Steppir beams
just a few feet apart, since they would always be tuned to
different bands. The separation would have to be enough that the
one on 15 didn't degrade the one on 10.

By the way, W7WW's steppir dipole at 74', with 1500 watts, is a
very effective antenna for SO2R S&P!

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
Yuma, AZ