[TowerTalk] 40 meters

BobK8IA@aol.com BobK8IA at aol.com
Fri Mar 18 01:05:19 EST 2005

In a message dated 3/17/05 10:45:28 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
tom at klient.com writes:

Hi  Bob.  I didn't mean to say that anyone here could stand a chance against
the west coasters doing a run of JAs in a contest.  In a contest, I'm  happy
to get one JA station on each of the low bands for the multiplier  :)  As you
know, EU is the bread and butter on the east coast when it  comes to racking
up the points.

Absolutely re Eu, Tom. I recognize that clearly, as I did when I lived in
MI. I still miss those seemingly never ending Eu runs on 40 I could do even
there, let alone what you folks do in the real east, hi. There were MULTS in
those runs. JA is but a one. ;-)

>I was talking more about DXing than contesting.  He was referring  to seeing
the cluster spots of Asian stations in the morning hours.  I was  under the
impression he was interested in working DX, not running JA stations in  a
contest.

Ahh.....ok. Maybe I should have followed the thread more closely. I am  kinda
one dimensional, pretty much only a contester and I gorget that others may
not be. ;-)

>When it comes to hunting down that rare DX, the fact that you have 8 to  10
hours of short-path openings to Asia every night is exactly why I said what I
did!  Here on the east coast we need to take advantage of those  long-path
40m openings at 5:30pm in December.  You won't be in the 40m  pileup at 2:30pm
local time.  Sure, we can work them at sunrise also,  but at that time we'll be
competing with the west coast stations.

For sure.You're right, at 1430 local (2130Z) I am at least an hour away  from
hearing much on 40. Even then, its usually the Eu biggies that I worked the
night before SP or morning LP. We have a true LP opening to Eu and the Mideast
 in early morning here, around sunrise. Vy good sigs. Vy reliable and lasts
an hour or two.

73, Bob  K8IA