[TowerTalk] porcupines and chemical ground

David Robbins K1TTT k1ttt at arrl.net
Sat Mar 19 13:23:40 EST 2005

Chemically enhanced grounds are good for power line safety grounding, but
are of questionable use at rf and hence lightning related frequencies.  The
problem is that the added conductivity is in a rather small area around the
rod and is due to ions that move relatively slowly.  The key for dissipating
lighting is to spread it out to as much surrounding area as possible, 6-8
radials up to about 50' long buried no more than about 3' down are as good
as anything else, adding rods along their length doesn't hurt but probably
won't help that much either.

The biggest part of lightning protection for buildings and equipment is the
'single point ground'.  while it may seem contradictory, a good perimeter
ground is also a valid method.  The key is to make sure that all conductors
inside the protected structure are at the same potential.  To do this takes
basically 2 steps.  First provide a good common ground for all the equipment
cases, power grounds, and antenna/coax grounds... think low inductance, and
make sure that EVERYTHING is connected to it.  The other step is to equalize
the non-grounded conductor voltages with the ground system.  This is where
the arresters come in, get a whole house mov power entrance system,
arresters on the entrance for cable tv, phones, and all antenna/rotor/switch
control lines.

While none of this will stop lightning from hitting your station, if
everything is properly connected and equalized there will be no place for
the lightning currents to get in and damage equipment.

David Robbins K1TTT
e-mail: mailto:k1ttt at arrl.net
web: http://www.k1ttt.net