[TowerTalk] A question of newbie proportions.

David Robbins K1TTT k1ttt at arrl.net
Sat May 7 07:04:28 EDT 2005

First you need to back up a bit.. a 'tower' normally holds up an antenna.
The antenna does the radiating.  Because of the low frequency of AM
broadcast in most cases they don't use a tower because the antenna is too
large... so what you see at AM broadcast stations is a vertical antenna that
is made out of tower sections.  It could be a tubular mast, but in most
cases the antenna is way too tall for something like that.  Also as I
understand it the antenna siting and design is an integral part of the fcc
application process since they have to make sure that on the assigned
frequency you don't encroach on surrounding stations coverage areas.

David Robbins K1TTT
e-mail: mailto:k1ttt at arrl.net
web: http://www.k1ttt.net