[TowerTalk] Monoband Verticals from N0AH

Dinsterdog@aol.com Dinsterdog at aol.com
Sun May 15 20:47:01 EDT 2005

RE: 80M 1/4 vertical

Depends if you get serious icing in your area.  If so, go to the  last line
of this posting.

If not,  I'd suggest top loading a homemade 1/4 wave vertical for  80M.  It
is a compromise but toploading helps the homemade antenna survive  better in
the elements.

You can get your aluminum from Texas Towers.  I used copper weld wire  for my
top loading wires  they also acted as part of the guys near the  top of the
antenna. Use three.

I got a guy ring from Radio Shack and a hose clamp to attach to the top hat
wires to the antenna but I am not sure if the make the guy  rings anymore.

Your radial system and antenna design goes without saying will impact  your
needs of a matching device. I'm a big fan of the Amidon UNUN. I can even  use
one-

I used this vertical design to build a 4 SQR.  It worked very well and  each
antenna cost about $450 to build. I did not use a matching device.

After ice destroyed my 4 SQR 5 times in 2 years,  I swore I would  never put
them up again as I was putting them up again.  It was  not the fault of the
aluminum.  The ice on the guy twine pulled things  down. Moral of the story is
there is such a thing as using too many guy ropes  and history does repeat
itself to those dumb enough who don't learn from  it-   I finally gave up on the
dacron rope and went with bailing  twine.  Life got better-

If you get serious icing in your area, maybe call WX0B at Array  Solutions.
He might still be carrying some amazing self supporting all  weather 80M
verticals. If not for the fact I moved, I would have four of them up  in the air at
my old QTH.  Live and learn.

.