[TowerTalk] Tower placement

K4SAV RadioIR at charter.net
Tue May 31 23:00:59 EDT 2005

Congratulations on having a QTH with good DX potential.  You need HFTA,
terrain analysis program!  It was included on the CD ROM with the ARRL
Antenna Book 20th edition.  With this software you can model your
terrain and move your towers around to see the effect.

It is very hard to give you an answer as to which is best.  There are
going to be trade-offs.  A couple of general conclusions can be made.
For best low angle performance, a terrain which slopes away from the
antenna is best, as opposed to one which drops sharply (as over a
cliff), or flat terrain. For example, if you have a cliff immediately in
front of the antenna, and a flat floor below, the first ground bounce is
the valley floor, so the antenna functions as if it is very high, which
isn't bad, but it's not as good as for a sloping ground in front of the
antenna.  In the case of the sloping ground, the reflection angle of the
first bounce is at a lower angle because of the sloping ground.
However, if this reflected wave happens to hit an  upward slope next,
then a lot of the low angle wave generated by the first reflection is
going to be sent upward (not good). So if the ground continues sloping
down, or there are no obstructions ahead, then low angle stuff is
maintained.

In a situation where you have ground rising in front of the antenna,
your low angle performance is going to be restricted, maybe severely,
depending on the height of the obstacle in front.

So, already, you are seeing some trade-offs.  These are general
conclusions, but the real answer is far more complex, because with
rugged terrain, the bounces can get really weird, and terrain a half
mile of more away may significantly effect propagation.  It will be well
worth your effort to model this using HFTA.  It's not perfect, but it's
a lot better than a guess, and a lot easier than moving towers.

Jerry, K4SAV