[TowerTalk] re Twinlead zepp

Tom Rauch w8ji at contesting.com
Sat Nov 5 19:59:46 EST 2005

I'm of the mindset we make too much over nothing. Most of
these things are just names.

If we want to go on a crusade, why are we calling matching
networks "antenna tuners"? Why would we call a balun
connected  to a Windom a balun? Why would we even call a
balanced line off center fed antenna a Windom? Why would
call a J-pole a J-pole, when the J-pole is traditionally
exactly like a Zepp and the antenna we call a Zepp isn't at
all like the Zepp antenna because it has a bend?

Can you guys really get behind calling a current balun a
different name every time we change the load? Who's
definition are we going to trust? Isn't the main idea mainly
to get our concept across?

> A dipole is a class of antennas with two poles, one on
each side of
> center, not necessarily resonant.

Says who? The Communications Standard Dictionary of
Electronic Terms specifically defines dipole antenna as a
half-wave center fed antenna.

> An End Fed Zepp (or just Zepp) is the old Zepplin antenna.

The old Zepplin antenna was in a straight line, one side 1/4
wl long, one side 3/4 wl long. Just like  J-pole.

> A Double Extended Zepp has 0.64 wavelength wires on each
side of the
> center feed point.

Good example. You know what it is even though it isn't
anything like a Zepplin antenna. So why worry?

> My opinion: Center Fed Zepp is a nice fancy name newer
hams are picking
> up and using, but no one knows for sure exactly what it
is, or they have
> their own definition which is not necessarily the same as
that of
> others.

It was common to hear the terms "center fed zepp", "double
zepp" and "extended double zepp" way back in 1962. It
certainly is not a new term or one that is not defined in
reference books. My Radio Handbook from Editors and
Engineers LTD copyright 1959 has the terms Doublet, Center
Fed Zepp,  and  Extended Double Zepp in it.  I guess by
"newer hams" you mean people younger than 100 or so that
have been licensed less than 70 or 80 years.  ;-)

You might not like "Doublet", but the esteemed Dr. Terman
and others (including the Communications Standard
Dictionary) use it. Doublet is commonly used in engineering
reference texts as the name of center fed antennas that are
any length, including 1/2 wave.

We're going way overboard in wanting others to call antennas
and devices by our own particular viewpoint of what they
should be called.

By the way, my very first antenna for 80 meters was a Fuchs
antenna, also known as an end-fed Hertz. If you have the
Radio Handbook 15th edition that antenna is on page 426,
right next to the Zepp antennas.  Some names just don't

73 Tom

More information about the TowerTalk mailing list