[TowerTalk] Help with PE certification of tower in NJ

Hank Lonberg kr7x at comcast.net
Sat Nov 19 00:33:15 EST 2005

Bob:

First off I am a licensed P.E. in New Jersey among other
states.

The IBC 2000 or even 2003 does not mention that a tower that
is 30' or less above a roof is ok. It does not mention
towers in any prescriptive design configuration. It does
propose procedures to determine environmental loadings on
tower structures and even references the TIA/EIA 222-F as a
recognized national standard for antenna bearing tower
design.

I am not sure if I understand your installation.
Does it have a concrete base?
Is it both guyed and bracketed to your house?

What does the township require for you to get a permit?
Sealed engineering calculations and plans or just sealed
calculations?

There is a later revision of the IBC. The most recent
published is the IBC 2003 and I believe that NJ has adopted
that as the latest building code.

Your tower installation is more than enough for the 5.5
square feet of antenna load.

Regards
Lonberg Design Group, Ltd.

Hank Lonberg, P.E.,S.E. / KR7X