[TowerTalk] 80m dipole question

Travis Fitzgerald - VE3WO ve3wo at rac.ca
Sat Nov 19 11:27:19 EST 2005

Hi -

Anyone on the reflector this morning?  I'm having a small problem with an 80m dipole that I'm raising for CQWW next weekend.  Total length of the dipole is 133', but distance from tower to house is about 125' (didn't know I was short until I tried to raise it).  If I raise the dipole until it reaches the house, the dipole resembles a flattened "V", with the feedpoint at about 25'.  Tower end is at 60', house end at 35'.

What do I do?  Should I leave it with the low-altitude feedpoint, or run the remaining 8' at a 90-degree angle along the house to raise the feedpoint up?  What's worse, a low feedpoint and V-shape, or a higher feedpoint with a 90-angle at one end of the dipole?

I'm halfway-finished, so any quick answers out there would be really, really appreciated.  I'm on Harry Potter patrol this afternoon, so this is my last chance for antenna work before CQWW.

Thanks in advance for any help.

73, Travis VE3WO