[TowerTalk] Belt Slippage on LM-470 Towers

k0dan k0dan at comcast.net
Wed Nov 23 14:06:55 EST 2005

Paul...

Interesting. I'm gonna send a photo to your email address, would like to see
if you can steer me to what you mean by "hub of the driven pulley is a
clutch". I either have no clutch, or it is corroded into non-existence, or
maybe tightened beyond functionality.

I -have- snapped a cable before....under unusual circumstances (excess slack
caused pull-up or pull-down cable (I forget which) to slip of the pulley on
the top tower section, it got pinched and the motor had enough torque to
snap it). Not sure a clutch would have helped, but might have added a little
extra margin (or noise) to warn me before the failure.
As it is now, the motor starts, there is no clutch slippage, maybe the belt
slips a tad but this is not apparent, and the tower instantly begins to go
up or down. No big problem. But a little extra "momentum buffering" would
probably be a good idea.

I have replaced the tower motor twice before (Leeson makes a fairly
inexpensive "washdown motor" which is right size, HP, and bolt pattern for
the LM470 application), however I think you are referring to the clutch
being in the gearbox which is kind of a mystery and certainly a bigger
production to replace than the electric motor.

There is also an odd flange with unexplained bolts on the shaft of the
pulley which comes oout of the gearbox. I think this is what you're
referring to as "clutch" but I want to send you a phot (picture is worth
1000 words).

Thanks and 73

Dan
K0DAN