[TowerTalk] 160m Antenna Tuner Recommendation?

kd4e kd4e at verizon.net
Fri Nov 25 17:07:06 EST 2005

I have owned KW-rated tuners from Dentron, Drake, Heath, Johnson, MFJ,
Murch, RF Power, TenTec, Unique Wire, and others.

The best by far is the massively constructed homebrew tuner I bought
a few years back.

Dual meters, large roller inductor with a switch for extra inductance,
twin variables, multiple antenna selection, gnd-thru-tuner-dl selection.

I am not sure it is possible to apply enough legal power to harm it
nor to attach an antenna even vaguely close to resonance that it
cannot tune.

No idea who built it nor what design they followed -- it is designed
for rack mount in a completely enclosed steel case and every component
is massive, heavy copper strap for connections, and copper tubing for
coils.

I should take some pictures and post them to the web -- it's the
nearly 40 screws on the top cover panel that make it a less than 5min
undertaking!  ;-)

>> Unfortunately, with only about 1kw, my Dentron "Super Super Tuner" starts
>> to arc at times.  Any recommendations for a tuner that can handle 1.5kw on
>> 160m, given my relatively high SWR?  Please no home brew projects, as I am
>> a QCAO. Thanks in advance! - Scott KA9FOX

30-70% Off Books, CD's, DVD's, etc.
http://edenacres.bibleseven.com/b2i/b2i-index.html

Thanks! & 73, doc kd4e
http://bibleseven.com