[TowerTalk] Guy Rope

Dan Hearn dhearn at wwnw.net
Sat Nov 26 11:55:41 EST 2005

Ken, a local ham, W7BUD,(now SK) used dacron rope for guying a 120 ft R25
tower. It worked for him for a number of years. He used a pipe mast
extending all the way to the ground where his rotator was mounted. He had a
2 stack of large 4 element 20m monobanders on the tower. The lower one was
rotated with a TIC ring rotator. Several of the local hams were involved in
taking down the tower and beams and said that the tower seemed secure while
they were on it. I feel that the problem with using rope guys is torque
forces from the beams in strong winds. Bud helped this by using the ground
mounted rotator but the Tic ring mount did apply torque to the tower. His
beams were well balanced for wind forces. His location north of Spokane was
on a high point and subject to considerable wind forces.
  73, Dan, N5AR