[TowerTalk] Explorer 14 rain detuning

ec1cwg@dxhunters.com ec1cwg at dxhunters.com
Sun Oct 2 17:36:32 EDT 2005

Hi there,
I´m a proud owner of a HyGain Explorer 14 antenna. I´ve experienced some detuning on rainy days. SWR increase from 1.1 to 1.5 or even 2 in all three bands. I´ve talk with another fellow here with the same ¨problem¨.
My antenna was completely refurbished a year ago. Installed a new BN4000 balun, cleaned all traps and hardware, changed plastic caps and added Penetrox and Scotch tape on all joints, including balun connections. Changed all coax cable with a new LMR400. So far it´s not a big problem but I´m affraid that this could be worse during winter time with ice and snow. I will climb up the tower tomorrow afternoon and wondering if any of you have had a similar experience with your HyGain antennas.
73s!
EC1CT Fernando
E-mail: ec1cwg at dxhunters.com
URE & ARRL member