[TowerTalk] Lift cable, Galv Steel, vs Stainless

paul@w8aef.com paul at w8aef.com
Mon Oct 3 01:40:28 EDT 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "k0dan" <k0dan at comcast.net>
To: "Pat Barthelow" <aa6eg at hotmail.com>; <towertalk at contesting.com>
Sent: Monday, October 03, 2005 2:54 AM
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Lift cable, Galv Steel, vs Stainless

> Pat:
>
> I can't address the M.E. issues you bring up, but is the engineer in
> question aware that the Tri-Ex LM series uses redundant cables?
>
> That is, there is a pull-up and a pull-down cable, but if one were to
> break,
> the other one still does hold up the structure, and will raise/lower it
> for
> emergency purposes? (I know, I have had one cable fail...came off pulley
> and
> got pinched/broke, and I was still able to safely control the tower.)

Not true my LM470.  There are two pull UP cables on each side of the upper
sections.  Only one pull up cable for the 2nd section from the bottom.  The
upper cables are not redundant but are arranged such that the sections float
on them, that is they do not push against one or the other side of the tower
as would be the case if there were only one cable.

Further, the upper cables are only 3/16" diameter.

And I would never trust just one cable to pull up my tower.  If I did have a
cable break the plug would be pulled on the up/down motor until all of the
cables were replaced.

And the pull-down cable is just that, for pulling down.

de Paul, W8AEF