[TowerTalk] Looking for photo of 30' tower

Fred Roberts froberts at ispwest.com
Wed Oct 5 18:20:57 EDT 2005

Delbert-

When your XYL is in the house, she won't see the antenna.  Why not just ask her what
she would like to have as a gift for her working with you on the tower and antenna.
After your antenna is up for a while, she won't see it, nor will your neighbors.

I always tell friends, "Ham radio is a great hobby - it keeps me off the streets, out
of bars and away from loose women."

By the way, we have a small city lot (less than 1/4 acre) which supports a tower and
a KT34XA and 3 Inverted Vs for 80, 40 and 30.  The tower in the attached photo is at
50  feet for some work - up it's at 72 feet.  I changed from a very small 3-element
tribander to the 6-element KT34XA one day when my XYL was out - when she got home, I
asked her how she liked my new antenna - her response, "What new antenna?"

My XYL's only argument was that she didn't want it in the front yard.

73-
Fred, W6TKV

Delbert Matlock wrote:

 > Well, after about four years of having a license I'm finally moved out of my
townhouse and into a detached home with a 1/4 acre lot and no HOA to look over my
shoulder.  Everthing finally seems right for putting up a small tower and beam (as
opposed to my old attic loop) to make DX contacts a bit easier.  Only one thing
stands in my way now, the wife.

 > What might make my effort a little easier is if I can show my wife that the tower
and beam won't dominate the entire back garden and surrounding neighborhood.  If
anyone has a photo of a 30'  free standing tower next to a house with a small,
3-element beam on top I might have a chance of reaching a compromise.  I'm thinking
of putting in a Universal Towers "12-30" or "21-30" with some brand (possiblly
Hy-Gain) of three element beam.  Still, any photo of a 30' tower will probably make
(or break) my case.