[TowerTalk] Remote Tuning of Shunt-Fed Tower

Pat Chiles chilesp at adelphia.net
Thu Oct 6 18:19:08 EDT 2005

Thanks to everyone for all of the information on where to go for stepper motors "geared" to the budget minded.  Three of the sights suggested look real good for motors at $12 and under.  I think I saw the motors I will be buying at AllElectronics.  Need time to digest all the information.

Jim Lux wanted to know how much torque I needed and If I wanted a device that would go to and stop at a previous software setting or a "step and direction" setup.  The answer is I do not know how much torque a vacuum Variable or an air variable requires.  I guess I will use West Virginia math and try and make a good guess.  The motor I am looking at has twice the torque of what  Richard - KJ7CU is using and he is running his at reduced power (5v versus 7.5v).

The implementation I was planning on playing with was a "step and direction" controlled by computer.  Now that Jim has planted the idea, I may look at a "go to and stop" solution.  I know there are cheaper solutions with DC motors, but I have all ready done that and it is time to learn something new.

Thanks again......Pat, K8PC