[TowerTalk] I know I'm off topic but

K8RI on Tower talk k8ri-tower at charter.net
Thu Oct 6 19:33:55 EDT 2005

>I figured that many people with big towers would most likely live in rural
>areas where
> this problem exists.
>
> Thinking about a hunk of farm land but the normal utility lines going down
> the road past
> the property 'sing' in the wind.

I've lived in the country most of my life and only noted the singing close
to the lines on windy days and even then it wasn't loud.

> At night, when it's even quieter than normal, it's loud enough to be
> annoying.
>
> Has anyone experienced this and had any success with power, telephone,
> etc. utilities in
> 'dampening' the noise.
>
> I think that's what those metal wings or balls I see on rural power lines
> are for.
> How successful are they.

Those are for dampening low frequency oscillations in the lines. It keeps
them from whipping around and doing damage.  I remember seeing some lines
along a road near Alma Mi (Lincolin Road) that were oscillating to the point
I thought they would come off the poles.  They had to be swinging between 3
to 6 feet.  A month or two later I came through on another windy day and
noted the metal wings installed.  You could still see the lines move, but
not much.

N833R - World's oldest Debonair CD-2
www.rogerhalstead.com