[TowerTalk] Great balls of wire

Tom Rauch w8ji at contesting.com
Fri Oct 7 06:40:50 EDT 2005

The Orange fiberglass balls you see on the lines are made by
a company in California, Missouri. I can't remember there
name but they are a block east of the square and they are
used to prevent the lines from whipping in the wind. I used
to pick up freight there periodically.
NØATH / Dave>>

Around here they only use them for aircraft safety. Same
when I lived in Ohio.
The orange balls are only at airports or where a very high
wire is used to cross a low spot, like high over a river.
They pretty much only put them on the top wire around here.
There are some right down the road at a grass landing strip,
and some at the Thomaston airport

Around here they very occasionally use large triangular
shaped pieces of metal (like a pair of slotted wings) to
stop phone lines from whipping.

73 Tom