[TowerTalk] galvenizing vs painting a tower platform

Al Williams alwilliams at olywa.net
Fri Oct 7 19:45:34 EDT 2005

I have had a steel platform fabricated for mounting a rotator and beam midway up my crankup tower.

I would like to have the platform hot-dip galvenized but that is not available locally.  There are no difficult areas to get to with either a paint brush or a spray can.  The platform totals about 3 or 4 feet surface area.

 I do have a spray can of "rust-oleum"" professional" cold galvanizing compound.  The label claims Zinc-Rich Coating and Superior Corrosion Resistance  and is for Recoating Galvanized Steel .....

Is the cold galvanizing compound adequate?  How many coats should be applied?
Is it better than just painting it with regular paint?

k7puc