[TowerTalk] Inverted v or flattop

Bill Coleman aa4lr at arrl.net
Fri Oct 7 23:46:42 EDT 2005

On Oct 2, 2005, at 11:07 PM, Jim Miller WB5OXQ wrote:

> I can support a 40meter dipole from the 30' to 30' up the 53' tower
> as a flat top or pull the center support up to 50' on the crankup.
> So which would be better for overall use on 40?  Inverted v with
> ends at 30 AND CENTER AT 50 OR A FLATTOP AT 30?

A 40m dipole at 30 feet is not quite 1/4 wavelength off the ground.
At that height, there's not going to be much of a pattern with most
of the energy going straight up.

50 is a better height. Even with the inverted V, you're better off
higher. 50 is 3/8 wavelength high.

If you have some trees and can get that dipole 70-100 feet high, even
better. Then you could start to really worry about the orientation of
the antenna.

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: aa4lr at arrl.net
             -- Wilbur Wright, 1901