[TowerTalk] grounding

Gary Schafer garyschafer at comcast.net
Sat Oct 8 22:04:35 EDT 2005

Rob,

Each installation has different circumstances that can be solved in
different ways. One of the biggest obstacles I see with a great number
of hams is they do not really understand what single point grounding
means. If you put some time into really understanding what is going on
with that concept you are way ahead of the game no matter what the
budget is. Just the way things are plugged in at the shack can make a
big difference.

For example, it is not necessary to have the mains power coming in the
same place as the coax lines. Just run a power line from a convenient
place over the where you have your antenna entrance panel. Put your
power line protectors there. Now run ALL your shack equipment from that
one power point.

The protectors for the power can be as little as some large mov's that
will give some protection. Add some gas tubes of the appropriate type.
If you want to go a little farther add some series inductors in the
power line ahead of the mov's and gas tubes.

Look at what is in some of these protection devices. It isn't magic it
is just proper selection of components.

As far as Polyphaser protection devices go, you really don't need them
if you disconnect the lines from the equipment and ground the shield and
center conductor of the coax when not in use.

A polyphaser device is a convenient way to ground the shield of the coax
line at your entrance point. You can do the same thing with a clamp
around the cable or connector, or plugging the connector into a mating
connector that is fastened to your ground.
The only other thing that the protection device does for you is shunt
any lightning energy on the center conductor of the coax to ground when
you don't have it removed from the rig and connected to ground.

It is more important to connect grounds in the right place than it is to
have elaborate ground systems.

73
Gary  K4FMX