[TowerTalk] galvenizing vs painting a tower platform

Dave Vondrasek n5ito at davidv.net
Sun Oct 9 00:34:59 EDT 2005

> Ever used a product called Ospho?  I used that to prepare the
> tounge on my
> camp trailer before painting it.  It removes the rust and
> seals the metal
> for painting.  Be sure to read the directions first as it can
> burn the skin
> if not used right.  Sure a good product tho'.  73

Ospho is nothing more the Phosphoric acid that can be found in many
products. One being METAL-READY by POR-15 http://www.stoprust.net You can
find Phosphoric acid at pretty much any paint store in generic form and
cheaper
The Ospho and METAL-READY. Ospho doesn't *seal* anything. It converts the
Rust chemically to a zinc finish so paints can adhere to the surface better.
If left untreated very long any surface treated with Ospho will start
rusting again. If you looking for a simple and quick way to paint a rusted
surface check out the POR-15 Paints. They also recommend treating the
surface first with Phosphoric acid to prep the surface for better bonding.

Dave
N5ITO