[TowerTalk] Rohn 20G Tower lay down questions

K8RI on Tower talk k8ri-tower at charter.net
Wed Oct 12 17:55:15 EDT 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "RICHARD BOYD" <ke3q at msn.com>
To: "Don M" <hy_tek at hotmail.com>; <towertalk at contesting.com>;
<ersmar at comcast.net>
Sent: Wednesday, October 12, 2005 4:17 PM
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rohn 20G Tower lay down questions

>I know half a dozen of us raised a Rohn 25, 50' tall as I recall, with a
>TA-36 tribander and a couple VHF antennas on top, walked it up.  I was
>surprised that it wasn't harder than it was.  We probably could have done
>it with less men.  We did have a pickup truck attached to it for the last
>bit, once we had raised it high enough that it was hard for us to push it
>up further.  The truck took over.

We did an old 50' American Steel (2 bolt). Instead of the truck we just used
an extension ladder to push, as a lever when we could first get it under and
in.  Then we just continued to use it to push when the angle was such that
the tower would have been at its heaviest for the guys underneath.  It
worked very well.

You do have to be careful not to get the leg of the ladder stuck between
braces in the tower so with a ROHN you'd have to insert the ladder between
sections.

(Don't use Aluminum ladders around power lines)

N833R - World's oldest Debonair CD-2
www.rogerhalstead.com