[TowerTalk] [CQ-Contest] Competing in the Daylight

Cqtestk4xs@aol.com Cqtestk4xs at aol.com
Thu Oct 13 07:30:47 EDT 2005

In a message dated 10/13/05 3:30:42 AM Greenwich Standard Time,
craig.n7or at gmail.com writes:
As far as WAE, not "everybody *has* to use packet".
No, you don't HAVE to use packet.  But, it should be pretty obvious, there is
an advantage to finding the rarer mults.  And since mults determine the final
score, unless you were in semi-rare country, in order to win the contest you
would NEED to use packet if all the top competition was doing it.

By the way, I did not say using packet was cheating.  I said that DARC was
unable to control the cheating (using packet and claiming unassisted).  Now
using packet in that contest is not cheating. However, they have elimated the op
from being competitive unless he uses packet.

Computer logging is very different from using packet, and this has been
covered on the reflector many times.  By allowing packet as a tool for the
unassisted op, they have in essence, made the single op a multi.  The computer does
not do that....either does SO2R, since there is no outside assistance in finding
mults.  The one op does it all.

I have no problem if guys want to be spoon fed mults in contests by using
packet...just keep them in the assisted category and keep single op unassisted
category intact. DARC's refusal to do this has costs them the loss of a
participant who made well over 1000 QSO's, and accepted well over 1000 QTC in each WAE.

Bill K4XS