[TowerTalk] Two Radial Questions

Pat Chiles chilesp at adelphia.net
Thu Oct 13 09:46:41 EDT 2005

I have a shunt fed tower that I landscaped around in late summer.  Before laying down the landscape cloth and decorative stone, I first ran a solid # 6 copper wire around the perimeter of the tower pad and attached fifteen 3 to 7 foot radials on each side and laid them on the ground under the cloth and stone.  I can now go back and solder wire to each of these short radials and extend them around the yard.

My question is this.  If I attach two wires to one of these very short radials (3-7 feet) and and then run them out about 100 to 130 feet, will they act as two radials or just one?

My other question is did I read on Tower Talk during the past month that #22 stranded and insulated copper wire is fine for radials?  I couldn't find it in the archives.

Thanks,

Pat, K8PC