[TowerTalk] 2" boom splice

CubexCo@aol.com CubexCo at aol.com
Thu Oct 13 10:23:34 EDT 2005

In a message dated 10/13/2005 8:54:12 AM Eastern Standard Time,
towertalk-request at contesting.com writes:
Hey 'talkers... A while back I found a boom splice for 2" boom someplace on
the net. As luck would have it, I lost/can't remember the web location.
(probably because of the hard drive reformat I had to do...on the computer, not me).
To describe it, if you took a 12" long piece of 2"id pipe, split it
lengthwise into 3 pieces, 120 deg. each, and then welded ears on each side of each
piece so you can bolt them back together around your boom sections. (Make sense?)
Anyway, anyone else seen this? I think it's an extrusion, abt 1/4" thick.
Ummm, then you can attach your elements to the boom and then the boom to the mast
on the tower: (There, that should make it on topic)
tnx es 73
K9WN  Jake
=====================================
Jake,
If the boom is 2" diameter tubing, then using a piece of 2" aluminum "PIPE"
can be made into a very simple external coupler.  All that is required is a
single cut length wise using any table saw with a 40 tooth or so carbide tip
blade.  Aluminum cuts as easy as most woods.  This split section now can be
compressed to secure support the boom halves using u-bolts (p/o boom to mast plate
assembly) and if necessary drilling, 90deg. away from the split, through the
boom and using 1/4" bolt will pin and squeeze the coupler to the boom.

Regards,
Norman W4QN

http://www.cubex.com/