[TowerTalk] Dipole puzzle

K4SAV RadioIR at charter.net
Sat Oct 15 20:08:43 EDT 2005

You can configure a 4 to 1 current mode balun using two physically
separated cores.  There is an example in ARRL Antenna Handbook 20th
edition page 26-24.  Seems like you should be able to buy these also,
but I have not searched for them.  If the one you have is this mode,
then I suspect it is bad.

You can't measure the antenna resonant point with the balun removed,
(unless you are at the antenna) because of the off center feed and the
coax which has a big mismatch at one end.  The other end can read just
about anything depending on coax length.

Jerry, K4SAV