[TowerTalk] Dipole resonates lower than expected.

Robert Chudek k0rc at pclink.com
Sun Oct 16 18:59:31 EDT 2005

Thanks for the many replies!

I knew velocity factors of coax changed depending upon the dielectric, but I
couldn't remember if this was true for a single wire radiator. Everyone
agrees it does. Gene, AD3F, stated the 5% lowering of resonance is typical
for PVC insulated wire. Thanks everyone for the confirmations!

Also, this is just a temporary dipole to get something in the air for right
now. I have hard drawn wire on the spool but didn't want to wrestle with it
the other evening. (There's nothing more irritating that having something
come out of the dark of the night and whack you on the back of the head!)

So I'll trim my existing dipole about 25 KHz high. Then the resonant point
can QSY down the band over the next couple of weeks as the wire stretches.
Actually, it's getting colder here in Minnesota. The temperature drop might
cancel the stretch. I might be able to get a couple of months out of this
deal! :-)

73 de Bob - K0RC