[TowerTalk] Dipole resonates lower than expected.

Robert Chudek k0rc at pclink.com
Sun Oct 16 21:14:30 EDT 2005

Thanks Tom,

You know... I ordered the new Handbook & Antenna Book and need to start
reading... It's been too long since I've played with this stuff! You are
right, of course, the measurement problem you stated reminds me of my dog
chasing his own tail!

I should have said I was looking for my minimum VSWR to end up at 3.775 MHz,
not necessarily the antenna "resonance". So maybe it is resonant at 3.775!
The VSWR doesn't drop lower than 1.6:1 in the best case scenario, but that
was 200 KHz low, as I questioned. This evening I whacked off 6 feet (3 on
each side) and the minimum VSWR moved up to around 3.760 MHz.

I can't compare before and after exactly because Murphy visited this
afternoon, right after I trimmed the wires. When I turned on my AEA HF
Analyst, it went berserk! It worked just fine this AM, but it didn't this
PM. And it was just sitting on the desk, turned off, not attached to
anything! Just my luck.

73 de Bob - K0RC