[TowerTalk] Dipole resonates lower than expected.

Tom Rauch w8ji at contesting.com
Mon Oct 17 10:14:49 EDT 2005

> All the responses have addressed the effects of insulation
on the
> wire, Bob.  But, no one has commented on what the analyzer
result was
> in a 75 ohm system.  Does your analyzer evaluate 75 ohm
systems or
> 52/50 ohm systems?

That doesn't matter Dale. He is reading R and X on the
analyzer, not SWR.

What you say about tuning the combined system does matter.

If the feedline has standing waves the only time an analyzer
inside the house will directly indicate actual antenna
resonance  is when the feedline is an exact multiple of 1/4
wl long. If the feeder is not an exact multiple of 1/4 wl
and has standing waves, it will cause the X=0 point to shift
frequency from the value at the antenna.

I'd bet not many people consider that fact when setting
resonance.

73 Tom