[TowerTalk] re - dipole resonates lower than expected

AA6DX - Mark aa6dx at arrl.net
Mon Oct 17 17:27:04 EDT 2005

Hello fellow TTers....
AS to measuring waaarrrrr ... What Jim sez works swell, especially out
camping, Field Day, etc ...  what works for me, at home, is I take the tape
measure alongside a long fence (sidewalk, driveway, whatever) and make
permanent markings at convenient footages...like, every 5 feet.... for as
long as the "measuring stick" lets me .. then, all I have to do is use the
tape for the last few feet or so ...   ehhhh? And remember .. it is easier
to cut a wire to shorten it than it is to make it longer!   73, Mark
(wishing I had more room for wires, as I used to did!)  AA6DX
-------------
TT:
In my experience, variables in the immediate antenna environment play a
greater role in impacting resonance than the presence or absence of
insulation on the antenna wire itself.
The 'keep it simple' approach:   Measure the distance from finger tip to
finger tip,
with arms outstretched using a tape measure.   Mine is 5' 6".    Using 5.5',
I measure off the correct wire length using 234/f or 468/f, add 6' for ends,
and make up the dipole or vertical (If it's an inverted vee, add 5%).
Usually it requires that I fold back the ends a bit, to bring the vswr
center where I want it.   Haven't had to add wire in longer than I can
remember.
n2ea