[TowerTalk] ELEVATED GUY

ChetMoore ChetMoore at cox.net
Wed Oct 19 19:49:43 EDT 2005

After watching the PVRC contesting  tape by W3LPL I decide to take " Take off angle" seriously.   I recently put up a C4 at 45 feet below my C31XR at 90 feet. .  I chose 45 feet because........that gave me the most clearance for the C4 to turn underneath the top guy at 70 feet.... and using the EYEBALL method...it ALMOST clears.  Measured it today and we need another 20 inches for the reflector ( C-4 is on a side mount) to turn under the guy wire.

I had my navsys engineer over here today (n4baa) and we determined that if we put a piece of   I (eye) beam in the ground with 7 feet sticking up out of the ground and move the present guy back 4 feet (as far as I can go and still keep it on my property,  with the guy attached at 7 feet the C4  will clear the guy wire by a couple of feet..

I'm guessing I need a 10-12 foot section  of eye beam with 4-5 feet buried in the ground to have 7 feet exposed. Is there a rule of thumb or does Anyone really know , how much do i have to put in the ground and do I need rebar in the hole and how much cement is required to make sure the I beam stays put??  Tower is AB-105 Presently guyed at 40  and 70 feet, 2 el shorty XM 240 mounted at 72 feet on a second sidemount.

Thanks

73

Chet N6ZO