[TowerTalk] FW: Yaesu rotator problem

Pete Smith n4zr at contesting.com
Sat Oct 22 07:27:34 EDT 2005

I think this is a real over-reaction, myself.  I have had Yaesu rotators for 10 years, and have never had a failure other than due to a direct lightning hit.  Currently, I have a G-1000DXA turning a Force 12 C-3 and a Force 12 EF-240S shorty 40 yagi, as well as a G-800SA turning another C-3 on a sidemount. The design of the Yaesu is light years ahead of the T2X.

What Gedas is seeing sounds to me like an intermittent in the indicator leads of the control cable.  I had a flakey Jones plug in my bulkhead for a while, and the indicator on the control box would get out of step with the pot as a result.  The symptom was exactly what Gedas describes.  The old Yaesu control boxes would drive the indicator around to the counter-clockwise stop when the indicator wiring opened up, but the new ones just stop where they are

Another possibility is that the antenna is windmilling.  When you press the rotation control, the direction indicator updates to the current position.  He doesn't say how large the antenna is, but it may/may be too big for the brake.  I haven't experienced this, but it could happen.

73, Pete N4ZR