[TowerTalk] Tower Foundation Question

Bob Kellow, W5LT W5LT at comcast.net
Sat Oct 22 12:06:56 EDT 2005

All:
I have a question about tower foundation design. My current Self supporting
tower uses a "drilled pier" style foundation that is 4.5 ft dia x 8.5 ft
deep. I am relocating to a new QTH, and the current quote to drill such a
foundation is a bit out of reach cost wise, mainly due to the drill rig
required.
I am familiar with the "slab" style foundations that could be dug with just
a backhoe. That style uses more concrete and rebar, but the over-all cost
should be less since the high priced drill rig is not required. This time, I
have plenty of space to use a slab. Any comments or recommendations from the
group?

Bob, W5LT