[TowerTalk] need advice on tower install

William Q Meeker wqmeeker at iastate.edu
Sun Oct 23 14:44:31 EDT 2005

Doug:

When looking for houses, we discovered that most subdivisions that had been
done in the past 30 years had covenants with boiler-plate restrictions on
antennas or towers or both. I have read a lot of these, and as soon as I
saw such restrictions, I moved on.

Usually, covenants, once filed, "run with the land," so you need to get the
official copy on file with the county and read them carefully. Once filed
with the county, they are there forever. It may be that some parts of a
covenant will expire (this would be stated explicitly---in our case there
was a 15-year, renewable, agreement to share road maintenance---but by the
end of 15 years the county had taken over the expense), but I would check
this carefully. I have never seen covenants where antenna restrictions
expired. If you have any doubts, talk to a lawyer (or an ARRL VC) before
signing anything.

73,

Bill
K0KT