[TowerTalk] LM-470 Tilt Winch Question

Al Williams alwilliams at olywa.net
Mon Oct 24 11:16:17 EDT 2005

I haven't taken the time am not good at visuallizing your written
description of the winch cable connection.
However, it seems to me that the problem is that the cable was attached to
the winch on the wrong side of the drum.  I have confirmed with a spare
Fulton winch on the bench that the clicking mechanism when clicking will
reel out or reel in depending on which side of the drum that the cable is
first attached on.

BTW, the brake mechanism has a free running mode so use caution when
lowering using the brake to be sure that it is engaged.  I have a previous
posting that described the tower beginning to run-away to the ground but I
grabbed the handle to stop it.

If anyone can describe in detail how the brake mechanism works I would sure
appreciate it.  A google search on brake winches did not produce any
explanation.

k7puc