[TowerTalk] Grounding of COAX run

Wayne Greaves wgreaves at pvtnetworks.net
Mon Oct 24 12:02:06 EDT 2005

The best practice is to ground the coax shield at both the top and bottom of
the tower.  The procedure you described is essentially how it is done.
Polyphaser makes kits for doing this very task.  Furthermore, their kits
provide tape and mastic putty for weatherproofing the cut in the coax.  I
recently did this on my tower and the kits performed as advertised.  They
provide sturdy hardware that would be difficult to improvise.  There are
various flavors depending on the braid material (copper, tin, etc.) so study
the infomation on their web site.  They also sell tower clamps of different
diameters for securely mounting the copper pigtail to the tower.

Good luck.  You're doing the right thing!

Wayne, WØZW