[TowerTalk] Grounding of COAX run

ersmar@comcast.net ersmar at comcast.net
Mon Oct 24 17:43:17 EDT 2005

Warren:

     I made my own coax shield grounding connector and posted something about this a few years ago:  http://lists.contesting.com/archives//html/Towertalk/2002-07/msg00698.html .  My approach gives you a grounding tab on the coax shield that can be connected to the tower by whatever means you choose.  I selected solid tinned copper #2 wire and compression connector for the coax end and a mechanical clamp for the tower's angle steel members.

     I also grounded all coax runs at the tower top and bottm plus at the SPG panel outside the shack.  However, at the shack end I used a barrel connector and two PL-259's.  The barrel connectors (from The Wireman) are mounted onto a 2" x 2" x 12" aluminum angle inside a steel enclosure.  The angle is connected to a nearby earth ground rod (< 2 feet away) through an aluminum connector.

73 de
Gene Smar  AD3F