[TowerTalk] Modeling Ladderline as an Antenna Element

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Mon Oct 24 20:02:09 EDT 2005

At 10:05 AM 10/24/2005, Joe Giacobello wrote:
>Jim and Tom, many thanks for your replies.  Let me tell you what I'm up to.
>
>I would like to put up an 80M EDZ between two towers.  However, my towers
>are only 300' apart and I need about 340'.  I have considered drooping the
>ends vertically, but I thought either a folded dipole or linear loading a
>few feet on the ends with ladderline would allow me to fit it inside the
>300' span.  I use EZNEC 4+ for modeling.
>
>I wonder if minimal lengths of ladderline for linear loading on each end
>would provide the shortening while making the high resistance losses
>arising from lower Q negligible?  I haven't tried modeling it yet.  I
>thought I'd first see if anyone had successfully modeled ladderline as an
>antenna element.

I'd try approximating it as a couple insulated wires with insulation
thickness comparable to the average thickness and see where it gets
you.  Then, try changing the thickness a bit and see if it makes a
significant (i.e. more than a percent) difference in the efficiency.

If you're interested in looking into how NEC4 models insulated wires in
more detail, L.B.Cebik's site talks about it a bit, and you can also look
for Burke's paper on it
Might be at: http://www.llnl.gov/tid/lof/documents/pdf/210389.pdf

The stuff on insulated wires starts on page 15 of the pdf (section 4.4 of
the report).  They validated the NEC model by comparing against a dipole
with insulated wires, as well as some other approaches.

Here's the bibliographic reference if you need to search further.
Title:
Recent advances to NEC (Numerical Electromagnetics Code): Applications and
validation
Authors:
Burke, G. J.
Affiliation:
Lawrence Livermore National Lab., CA.
Journal:
Presented at the Conference on Modern Antenna Design Using Computers and
Measurement Application To Antenna Problems of Military Interest, Ankara,
Turkey, 19-20 Oct. 1989
Publication Date:
03/1989
Category:
Communications and Radar
Origin:
STI
NASA/STI Keywords:
ANTENNA DESIGN, COMPUTER AIDED DESIGN, COMPUTER PROGRAMS, ELECTROMAGNETISM,
MATHEMATICAL MODELS, ELECTRICAL INSULATION, INTEGRAL EQUATIONS, WIRING
Bibliographic Code:
1989STIN...9011917B

Abstract

Capabilities of the antenna modeling code NEC are reviewed and results are
presented to illustrate typical applications. Recent developments are
discussed that will improve accuracy in modeling electrically small
antennas, stepped-radius wires and junctions of tightly coupled wires, and
also a new capability for modeling insulated wires in air or earth is
described. These advances will be included in a future release of NEC,
while for now the results serve to illustrate limitations of the present
code. NEC results are compared with independent analytical and numerical
solutions and measurements to validate the model for wires near ground and
for insulated wires.