[TowerTalk] Rotor damage prevention

Mike Harris mike.harris at horizon.co.fk
Tue Oct 25 19:42:19 EDT 2005

G'day all,

| spur gears. I decided to replace it with an Italian worm gear unit. I
| also decided to try and reduce the mechanical "shock" load placed on
| the "parked" rotor, during high, and gusting wind conditions, by
| fitting a rubber doughnut drive coupler

PST make a "flexi mount clamp" for the PST2051 and there is a picture of
it on the Array Solutions site.  To fit it on my PST61D requires
fabrication of a mounting plate.

The PST61D's 1870lbs vertical load capability (the thing is built like the
differential of a small car) means in my application on a tilt over tower
I don't really need a thrust bearing though I do have a Yeasu GS-065 unit
at the tower top.  There doesn't seem to be any radial load spec. for the
Yaesu bearing and given that this is the point where the radial loads of
mast flex are located I don't feel particularly comfortable with it.

Time will tell and in the meantime I'm looking for a sturdy flange mounted
radial bearing to replace it with.

Regards,

Mike VP8NO