[TowerTalk] 80M antenna suggestion

James C. Hall, MD nwtcc at earthlink.net
Tue Oct 25 20:33:07 EDT 2005

Hi Richard:

Sounds like you're hard at it ! HI One suggestion for 80M is to also run a
shunt on the tower coming off one section lower than your 160M shunt arm.
You've already got the ground plane and the receive antenna. (BTW, check out
that loop on 40M !). I have a sloping delta loop that was featured in the
ARRL Antenna Compendium Vol.6. I also have a long Carolina Windom from Radio
Works that does VERY well on 80M. In fact, in my experience, the Windom
seems to do a bit better than the Delta loop - most likely because the loop
has virtually NO altitude. The inverted-V is merely OK and mostly for short
range contacts. The inverted-L is more vertically polarized and would use
your already-planted ground screen. AND it requires one more vertical
support. For the work involved, shunt the tower.

Also, cut down the Cottonwoods !! My sinuses feel it from here !!

73, Jamie
WB4YDL