[TowerTalk] Motorizing a Crank up

Barrie Smith barrie at centric.net
Wed Oct 26 21:31:40 EDT 2005

Several years ago I put up a Hygain HG-70HD tower.  I went to an industrial
supply company and told them how much weight I needed to lift (adding a
considerable safety factor), and they sold me an electric winch capable of
handling the job.

The winch was designed to be mounted in such a way as to pull up, but I just
mounted it to pull down.

Must have lucked-out, because, mounted in that fashion, the three mounting
holes lined up perfectly with the winch mounting holes in the tower.

With the cavity for the cable entrance on top, the dirt, rain and snow have
easy access to the interior.  I spray a chain and cable lube into the cavity
a couple of times a year, and, so far, I see no problems.

Well, perhaps one:  If I have not raised or lowered the tower for some time
in the summer the wasps build a nest therein, and all hell breaks loose when
I start the motor.

73, Barrie, W7ALW