[TowerTalk] Motorizing a Tower

CubexCo@aol.com CubexCo at aol.com
Thu Oct 27 20:43:23 EDT 2005

I want to motorize a LM354E...currently it has a hand winch and it is a bear
to raise....there isn't a gear box on this tower...

A few other recommended a 120V winch by Dayton....that that has a free spool
lever which would allow the tower to free spool down.... the safety concerns
got to me...I could see my TH11 come roaring down around me!

So heres the question again...has anyone used this winch...or something
similar to motorize a crank-up....

Any help would be appreciated!....

Lou N2TU
=======================================
Lou,
My recommendation would be to pattern your motorized winch after the method
that Tri-EX and others have done.  The key components is a Drum with a strong
axel (at least 1" dia) sturdy brackets and axel bearings attached to the tower
mounting tabs (the LM series has those in place).  The next key item is a worm
gear speed reduction gear box (40:1). This is coupled to the drum axel
(pinned/bolted securely) and the gear box mounted on a bracket that will have to be
fabricated. The gear box shafts (input/output) will be 90 deg to each other
which requires the motor to be mounted at right angles to the drum.  The worm
gears give you positive drum control no free wheeling and the motor driving the
gear box through a belt allows some speed adjustment.  The motor must be wired
to allow reversing the direction for UP/DOWN control.  Most systems also use
a positive pull down cable on the same drum.  This adds some cabling and
pulley complication, but mostly only necessary when trying to lower the tower with
high winds blowing.

Gear box sources, Boston Gear,  found in Granger catalog as well as many
other sources.  I am sure a Google search will find many.  Couplers, large VEE
belt pulley (12"), small VEE belt pulley for the Motor (2"), and of course the
fabrication of drum, (3-1/2" galvenized steel pipe, some 3/16" sheet stock for
the ends and a 1" solid steel shaft.  The 3/16" material will also be used to
fabricate the motor mounting bracket.

Norm W4QN