[TowerTalk] Snow and rain attenuation

Bill Jackson k9rz at radiks.net
Mon Oct 31 14:12:08 EST 2005

Dan,

I work with 6 GHz point to point microwave systems at the railroad.  We do not use heated antennas or radomes.  However, I would recommend you install a dish antenna that includes a fiberglass radome.  This will keep ice and snow from forming on the feedhorn and reflective surface of the dish and will actually lower the amount of wind loading from the antenna.

At 6 GHz, the amount of additional path attenuation due to falling rain/snow in the air at 6 GHz is negligible and shoud not be a concern.

73 de Bill, K9RZ