[TowerTalk] Rain static

K4SAV RadioIR at charter.net
Thu Sep 1 13:56:11 EDT 2005

Some mobile antennas have a loading coil at the base that DC grounds the
antenna and provides a leakage path, other do not.  All the radios I
have seen do not provide a leakage path for charge on the antenna
terminal.  They are capacitively coupled. So it is possible to build up
a charge on the antenna that is enough to break down this capacitor if
there is no leakage path.  This has never happened on my mobile even
with close lightning strikes.  That doesn't mean it isn't possible. If
it makes you feel better, you can always add a surge suppressor - it
doesn't hurt.  You can ohmmeter your system to see if you have a leakage
path or not.

If you are attaching your mobile rig to a large external antenna, then
you need some protection.  Long antennas such as 80 or 160 meters, can
gather significant energy and need some kind of gas discharge protection
device, or other discharge devices such as an inductor, to drain off
static charges as well as good grounding for lightning. The gas
discharge device would be preferable, since the inductor may not get
spikes introduced by close lightning strikes. If you have this connected
to your mobile rig, I would recommend disconnecting it when bad weather
is near, and attaching the feedline to a good ground.

I can't speak for aircraft antennas, but I would expect they would need
very good protection also.

Jerry, K4SAV