[TowerTalk] Best choices for 27' height limit.

Tom Anderson WW5L at gte.net
Thu Sep 15 14:42:00 EDT 2005

Dick:

Years ago when my XYL Cheryl (WY5H) and I lived in another town between
Dallas and Fort Worth, I wrote the mayor and asked if the city has any
heighth limits on hams towers before I put up anything and he wrote me
back and said no, so I put up 40 ft. of Rohn 25.  A few years later
another ham put up an HDBX 48 that his neighbors didn't like and started
complaing to the city council, etc.  Ended up being a bunch of hams and
neighbors at the council meetings.  The mayor made a public statement
that the city has ALWAYS had a 30 ft. heighth limit on any tower in the
city.  When the public comment section of the meeting opened I stood up
and gave him a copy of the letter he wrote me about no limits and asked
was he mistaken or did the city not have any limits?  He stammered and
studdered and basically ignored me.  Of course the news media wanted my
letter and I gladly gave them a copy (it was on a city letterhead "from
the Office of the Mayor").

The city thought they had the hams, but then they had to go back and
draft a new ordinance, hold public hearings on it, etc.  Thank goodness
I didn't throw that letter away.  We ended up with a 50 ft. limit which
with all the residential lot setback requirements, etc. would have been
the max anyone could have put up anyway.  Besides no one had anything
higher anyway other than one ham who had a 60 ft. tower.  That ham is
now on the city council there.

We also reminded the city about who would operated their 2m and 440 gear
during weather and other emergencies in their EOC. if they got the ham
community too mad.  The em. management director (also the fire marshal)
stood up and said he would work both radios, even though he didn't have
a license.  Another ham who was a lawyer and ARRL volunteer counsel
reminded him not to unless he wanted to risk a fine from the FCC.  He
finally got a tech license.

Tom, WW5L